Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Politics the Way It Should Be

Today, it felt like politics was carried out the way I believe the American Founding Fathers believed it should be done. Today involved a real marathon of meetings within the environmental protection committee. In all of the meetings, there was real discussion, disagreement, progress, and even laughter. First there were discussions about beuracratic rules, the final ruling on the CO2 discussion, and even the foresters' proposal was brought up. After two hours of meetings, there was a quick lunch break and another meeting. Naturally, everyone showed up late, except for one person who is part of an anti-corruption federation. I talked with him and I have more hope for Lithuania's government. Yes, it is recognized that there is wide-spread corruption, but there is a system in place to deal with it.

I feel better about the Lithuanian government now, but I still have many concerns.

Yesterday I had dinner with the Jesuits at the house. All were really nice and pretty funny. Also, I forgot to mention that two days ago there was a soccer game among the people staying at Sv. Kazimiero. The game was fun, but the soccer players in Lithuania are no Ecuadorians.

Also in the news: Germany closed two of its' airports because of the volcano in Iceland, but it seems like the ash cloud is becoming smaller and won't affect my flight too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment