This may be lengthy, but I'll try to split it into the experience in Lithuania vs. the experience in Seimas.
Lithuania:
The people in Lithuania are culturally different from the people in the United States. In many ways, I felt like it was in a good way too. There was really only one thing I would question in Lithuania: Some of the service is a bit rude in restaurants, but only if you're not willing to admit you're from a different country. Once I said 'I'm from America, I'm a bit clueless', the quality of service dramatically increased. Otherwise, I have no complaints about Lithuania, and the 'complaint' I do have is no big deal.
The biggest difference I noticed between Lithuanians and Americans is the level of hospitality. In Lithuania, it seemed like the duty of every person to make me feel as comfortable as possible. Almost all the time, this duty did make me feel more comfortable. There is the traditional persistance of offering more food, even though I've eaten too much, but that was expected. Another sense of hospitality I felt was the incredible ability of small talk. Nobody here talks about the weather to start off conversations, but there is always a long list of things to talk about. One of the first days here, I was with Linas and Tomas. Even though I still wasn't comfortable with my new surroundings, they were able to make small talk with me for a long time. My sentences were short, the grammar might have been a bit off, but we were still able to consistently talk for a long period of time. I noticed that with every family I visited.
Maturity: I feel like in Lithuania, people mature faster. The hospitality was felt not just from adults, but also from people my age. People my aged seemed to be more cultured too. Here, people also listen to classical music, go to 'modern concerts' and classical concerts, and some of my friends here even go to plays and operas by themselves.
Handshake: Everybody here greets with a handshake, young and old. I've gotten lots of practise here and I'm eager to show off my new-found skill in the United States.
Phones: I don't think Lithuanians have gotten used to the fact that they have phones yet. Every call is picked up, phones are never on vibrate, and nobody texts. What many people here have done to try to conceal the fact that they're talking on their phones is covering their mouth with their hand and making a 'channel' from their mouths to their phones so they can talk while nobody else will notice. It's basically the same thing here with phones as it is in America, only Americans text.
Pride: It seems like everybody here wants to show off what they have to me. P. Rita, the one that works for p. Simenas, wants to show off Seimas. This is Lithuania's government, and this is the product of an independant Lithuania, that's what p. Rita wanted to show me. The other p. Rita, the one that brought me to the dvaras, invited me to her apartment last night. She was full of pride for her kids and her apartment. When I was with the Jakaitis family, they showed off their home they're building in the country, their apartment, their kids, and even the artwork that Mrs. Jakaitis painted. Overall, I think that this is an effect of still being a post-Soviet era country. Under the Soviet Union, there wasn't much freedom to have your own property, government, or even control over your own life. Now, with that freedom, everybody wants to show me, a westerner, how they are able to thrive in a free environment.
The West: It may be propaganda, it may be the truth, but many people in Lithuania look in awe at the west. The west includes Western Europe and the United States. Part of it I'm sure is economic and the greater ability to make more money in the west. According to the Department of State website, the average monthly earning was $832 per month. I'm pretty sure that is in Litai. That means that in a year, the average Lithuanian would earn around 10,000 litai. Not too many families are well above that average. Most of the families I talked to weren't afraid to tell me how much they earn, and 10,000 litai a year is normal. Life is difficult for those earnings. One girl I met is a chef at a Pizza Hut in England. She earns about the same as an American Pizza Hut chef, which to American standards isn't much, but she can live. That may be another reason many people love the west.
Politics:
The first modern Lithuanian government lasted 18 years. Of course, there were extraordinary events such as WWII that were beyond the control of Lithuania, but it was still 18 years. The Lithuanian government right now is 20 years old. I know I do not understand everything, but I do know there is a presence from the East that is heavy in Lithuania's government. I just hope that the government is not too weak to stand up to this presence. This apparent weakness is what bothers me most about Seimas. Although I have not witnessed it directly, I've been told that whenever there is a small protest, Seimas immediately votes with the protestors, even if it isn't in the best interest of the country. I've been told many nariai take bribes for proposals, and that is another weakness I am afraid of. There is also the economic weakness and dependance on foreign energy I mentioned earlier. While this may sound isignificant at first, we must remember all those that fought or died for an independant Lithuania, for a government run by Lithuanians, and this Seimas is one of the organizations people fought and died for.
Effects of the weakness: Many people are leaving Lithuania to go west. Since independance the population dropped from 3.7 million to 3.05 million. If this continues consistantly as it has since independence, I am afraid there won't be a Lithuania. If everybody is gone, and say Russia decides to come play with the world again, who will fight in Lithuania for Lithuania? Is Seimas really too weak to deal with that problem of emigration? There is hope and there are strong leaders within Seimas, but I feel like they are young and in the minority. There is too much of a force against these leaders that recognize the major problems in Lithuania.
Conclusion: I want to go into politics.
No comments:
Post a Comment