Monday, May 16, 2011

You Coming Back to Lithuania?

A common question I'm getting here is whether or not I'm returning to Lithuania to live when I'm older. Several reasons for this: 1. I'm somewhat of a big deal here, just kidding. 2. All the young professionals are leaving Lithuania to find jobs in Europe and America. There may not be enough people to pay for social security eventually because the working class will not be in Lithuania. 3. The Lithuanian pride for the land of Lithuania is something not seen in the United States.
By the way, i'm doing great in my game. Instead of letting people  guess where I'm from, I've been able to hold a conversation with people here then later reveal I'm from the states. Many of them have now said that my Lithuanian is good and are completely surprised I'm 3rd generation. Aciu Mama, Tete, seima, ir Dainava! Also all the rumors that generally Lithuanians are not gracious, don't smile, and have awful restaurant service have been false so far. In restaurants, you barely have time to sit down before your order is taken and the food comes out. Also, everyone smiles and is generally happy. Everyone is also willing to help out, even if it's obvious you're lost.

Today was slow at Parliament. My alarm didn't go off until 9, and i have to show up at work between 8 and 9. I call p. Rita telling her my situation, but she told me just to take my time, eat breakfast, and told me nothing was heppening. Wanting to make a good impression, I still left immediately. Once I got outside, I realized it was raining, so I took a taxi. It didn't seem like it would be a great day. I get to the building, took a wrong somewhere in the building, and got lost. I arrive finally around 10:15, but it was clear i missed nothing. P. Simenas  wasn't doing much, and the whole office was just sitting around. P. Rita left to take some exam, and then p. Simenas left for some meeting that was 'officials only'. So today I mainly studied my Lithuanian Constitution and Parliamentary procedure I couldn't read earlier. P. Rita also gave me her computer where I posted my last blog. Eventually after lunch there was an environmental committee meeting I could sit in on.

I'm not sure what to write about the meeting. There were discussions and I'm not sure whether or not I should be proud of what was discussed or discusted. I just don't think I understand the situation completely so I'm not going to write anything I will later regret saying.

Tonight is the Zalgir; is-Lietuvos Rytas game. I think it's the finals, but it's not the last game.
Fun Post of the day: This should be coming in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment