Today in the elevator going to our floor, I wished for a little bit that I would stay in Parliament longer than 2 weeks because I learned so much every day. I still learned a lot today, but I'm also learning that there really isn't much else to learn unless I become a politician myself. Today was a different day than yesterday.
It started off with me going to the general Parliamentary meeting. This time, the lady who typically runs procedure and would be similar to the Speaker of the House, p. Degutiene, was there today. Somehow, there was less talk and more listening to speeches from all the officials. There also wasn't much to discuss. Most of the voting was with less than 5 officials voting against proposals at a time. I think out of the 30 votes today, maybe 28 were pretty unanimous. Therefore, it wasn't too exciting, except for one time when llittle kids maybe in 4th grade came by during a field trip. They were so excited to see all the politicians and the big conference room they always see on TV. I laughed and smiled the whole time they were there. In the afternoon, I got to go on a tour of the building with the Miskininkai, or the 'woodsman'. They're the protectors and keepers of the public woods in Lithuania. All of them dressed nicely and were excited to be in Parliament. Eventually, they got to meet the members of the environmental protection committee, including p. Simenas. There was eventually a general discussion about issues involving the Miskininkai. Usually in America, politicians listen to peoples' concerns, and provide a glimmer of hope. The head Miskininkas described a situation in which they were living through Hell financially. Once again, I don't want to say something I'll later regret so I'll withhold. Let's just say that if I lived in Lithuania, I would not vote for certain people.
Tonight there will be a memorial service for someone killed by the Communists 20 years ago on this day by being pushed under a train. I'll go to that for a little bit then I'll see Jaunius and family, who I think is my mom's cousin.
Dede Vytautas is letting me borrow his camera! I'll take a few pictures and they will be up tomorrow
hopefully if the chord works.
Fun post of the day: In one of the rooms, there are many gifts from members of different countries. One particular gift was from China with beads that shook as you walked by it. Another Miskininkas who did not read the sign that it was from China but saw the gift said "No, It's from Japan, it's shaking". A Lithuanian joke that I laughed at! I know it's bad, but I haven't heard jokes in a while. Afterward, there were about 2 more jokes during the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment